Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Tournament Winning Mindset

I've been to only 6 tournaments, all of them small local tourneys. Thus I'm not one to tell people how to win a Magic the Gathering pro-tour. However, I've come to believe that any player can get the most out of a Magic tournament when they bring the right mindset to it. I want to take the opportunity here to shout out what worked for me and to hear what works for you.

For a small-time (oxymoronic) casual-competitive player like me, I've two main goals when attending an mtg tourney. The first of which is...

I'm Here to Win!

What else do you expect from the title?

Magic the Gathering is a competitive game. Whenever you play a game of Magic, there's bound to a winner and a loser. This is even more so in a tournament setting – you pay for the entry in exchange for chances to win a prize. If you're not at all concerned about winning, then perhaps you should continue playing non-competitively with your Krark's Thumb deck.

For me, I approach every tournament with a desire to win the whole event. I spend much of the 1.5hours travelling from one side of the island to the other side thinking of the prize and how happy I'll be getting in into my hands. This continues all the way until the start of the tournament.

After each round of the tourney, this desire reaffirms itself when I get 1 step close to the goal. “3 more wins. 2. 1 more and I'm locked into top-8. Now just 2 more players between me and my prize.” That's usually what happens. Amazingly, not even dinner can separate me from winning.

The more you want it, the more you'll get it.

Never Say Die!!

I have huge admiration for players who have the “don't give up” attitude. Even if you're down a game, even if you're facing an abysmal matchup, there are always chances of you winning the game.

Strive for that top-deck Time Spiral that turns the tide around! Cast that Brainstorm at the very last moment to dig for your outs! And if you have to, smelly hand your opponent (bad karma) and pray to the gods (good karma)!

The longer you hold onto it, the more you'll have it.

And if you were to somehow lose...

Have Fun!!!

Accept it. Magic is a game and there are winners and losers. Should you unfortunately lose in the tournament, don't be a loser and take the fun out of it. Yes, winning is a large part of playing in a tournament, but the other is enjoying the adrenaline rush in meeting (and sometimes besting) other players of higher caliber. It's not the end of the world (2012) yet.

And you can laugh at how noob you were.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Lastly...

Learn Something!

After the tourney, don't forget to review the games and see whether that Psionic Blast worked for you. Review your strategy and improve your skills. That'll make you a better player.

But the more important point is that Magic is not just a game. For my team-mate, participating in a tournament represents a once-in-a-month opportunity to meet friends from all around the island. Make friends and network with people. Help others by bringing value into their lives. Share opinions! Learn how to lie!

And if you don't believe you'll derive much skills from turning cards sideways, you're not looking at the bigger picture. It's not just the desire to win, it's the desire to perform well in tests, to get more cash in life, to get her, to fulfil your passion. It's the ability to persevere in tough times that gets you what you want most. It's the fun you have in the process.

The way you approach it is a way of life. It speaks about you as a person. Now look back and see what kind of person you are. You might get some insight out of it.

So, how do you approach a tournament? How do you treat a Magic game? If you have something to share, let me know by commenting below or over at my MtgTrinket facebook page!
I'm reading: The Tournament Winning Mindset Tweet this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here